Thursday, November 15, 2012

Milling Wheat (Is it worth the investment?)...

It doesn't take a scientist to know that the more nutritious foods we put into our bodies, the healthier we will be and in my experience, the better we will feel.

I had never considered the fact that I could mill my own wheat at home until about a year ago when my friend introduced me to counter-top millers.  I have to say it has completely changed my families life.  Thanks, Lynsie! 

If you are like I was and clueless about wheat, it's worth a science lesson into the structure of a wheat berry.  I'm sure many of you have heard people talk about eating wheat germ and adding it to foods, etc.  The wheat germ is the most nurtitious part of the wheat but unfortunately it is removed during the processing of flour that we buy from the store mostly because it doesn't have a long life and would make the flour go rancid very quickly.

Here is a great link with lots of helpful information regarding wheat and this company also sells miller http://info.breadbeckers.com/articles/.  This site explains the numerous benefits to eating fresh flour.  There are over 20 added vitamins and minerals your body will receive through milling fresh wheat!!

I myself chose to go with the Kitchen Miller from Blendtec and have been very please with the ease of use and cleaning etc. 



I prefer to use white wheat berries and I use them for everything from desserts to pizza dough to breakfast items.  I have pizza dough in my bread machine now :).

I will say too, I have felt a difference in my energy level and just how I feel overall by eating more whole foods and using fresh flour.

I would say this is 100% worth the initial cost of the mill.

Thanks again for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment